Sunday, October 7, 2007

Oh WOW!

Two words... STELLAR! and RESPECT! Those two words describe my trip to Fruita, CO this weekend. I got in Friday night around midnight after trying to find a camp site up near where I would be riding the next day with no luck! So I hit the highway again down the road about 15 miles to the Rabbit Valley 2 miles from the Utah border. I took the Jetta aka the Red Sled aka the Ghetto Jetta where she really doesn't belong but once again she came out on top! I found a site and proceeded to pitch my tent in 25 mph winds... none the less interesting! Here is a picture from the next morning when it was pissin rain and still blowin like hell! Rocks holding the tent down.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So the only thing that got me out of my tent Saturday morning was knowing that I had a new french press that would make some warm delicious Jittery's Joe's Morning Ride Coffee! Once I had some Jo in me the weather didn't matter cause I knew I would be tearin up some sweet single track. I made the drive back to Fruita and threw on the bike clothes. It was a bit chilly that morning with the rain and wind so I threw on the tights under the shorts, threw on a jersey, long sleeve layer, and my rain jacket. I hit the trails starting out on Prime Cut which would take me up to Chutes and Ladders for my decent. Here are a couple shots of Chutes and Ladders.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The next shot below is me getting ready to blast through this super fast meadow.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here is a picture of the tight single track meadow.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Once back down by the parking lot I stopped to refuel with PB & J Kate style with peanut butter stacked on both pieces of bread and then a load of jelly on one side put it together and you have instant fuel! The next loop was super fun! It was called Zippety Do Da! It completely lives up to the name. You follow a ridge the whole way up and down haulin absolute ass! I hit 30 plus going down in the picture below.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here is a good shot of the ridge line you follow before the previous pic.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I stopped at the car again after this loop since everything ends up down at the car. It's nice cause you can drop layers or fuel up. Since the rain had subsided I took off my Jacket and headed up the road to Joe's Ridge. Another super fun ridge ride with some rock drops all completed successfully without crashing. Once I completed Joe's Ridge I rode back up to ride Kessell which is a super fast winding trail. I spotted a campsite and decided to haul ass down the car to try and get back before someone else got it. On the descent I really had the bike leaned over in a turn hit the front brake a little to hard to slow down then got in some loose stuff and lost it! I totally slammed my shoulder into the ground! The first wreck! I came out of it pretty good but the shoulder is pretty sore today hard to lift my left arm without a wince of pain first. Oh well the trail was sweet and worth going fast! I would do it again! Oh yeah and I didn't get the camp site. Some other guys got to it first. Oh well back out to Rabbit Valley again. On they way I stopped for what was the best pizza I have had in quite sometime. Homemade dough hand tossed with homemade marinara! Hot Tomato Cafe was the name of the place in Fruita and I killed a whole 14 inch pie!

Sunday morning I awoke to sunny skies ate some oatmeal and had my coffee and headed to some trails along the Colorado River.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These trails were amazing but demanded respect as I soon found out. I bailed over the handle bars probably 4 times bike slamming, tipped over trying to climb tricky sections about 3-4 times, and caught myself about 2 inches before breaking my cheek bone when a rock wrenched my handle bars and made me slide out. Even beyond all those there were sections where I knew better and decided to walk them! I definitely walked away better than what I should have. Ended the weekend riding some 55-60 miles with a sore shoulder, jammed finger, scrapped and bruised calves, and my achilles on my left leg flared up again from my ride with AJ. Guess I should let it heal longer! The price you pay when your havin fun! Here is a section of pics from Sunday.

Almost planted my face before bailing coming down through the rocks down to Horsethief Loop!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Horsethief Loop sooo much fun!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Did all of the trails below!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Mack's Ridge Skirts the hole ridge line shown before descending.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

All in all my trip to Fruita was PHENOMENAL! I will definitely be going back! Hopefully next time Timmy can go with and I will have some action shots hittin rock drops and flying through single track! Hope everyone had a great weekend. Back to the grind!

No comments: